UDF Government Reverses Course on Appointment of Non-Muslim Members to Waqf Board

WAQF.jpg
Web Desk

Published on Aug 19, 2026, 01:16 PM | 2 min read

Kochi: The Kerala government has changed its stand before the High Court on the appointment of non-Muslim members to the Waqf Board. The government informed the court that non-Muslim members would be appointed to the Waqf Board only after the Supreme Court delivers its final verdict on the matter. The government also said it did not want to create complications in the functioning of the Waqf Board.


The change in position came amid concerns over public sentiment. Advocate General K G Gaju Babu had previously told the High Court the previous day that the government was ready to reconstitute the Waqf Board by including two non-Muslim members. The government had said the appointments would be made under Section 14(6) of the Waqf Act.


The government revised this position on Wednesday. It had conveyed a similar stand before the Supreme Court as well.


The issue came up during the hearing of a petition filed by BJP state vice-president Shawn George. The Advocate General had initially informed the High Court that the government was prepared to include two non-Muslim members in the Board.


Under the Waqf law amendment introduced by the Centre, two non-Muslims are required to be included in the Waqf Board. Despite central government's efforts, the LDF government had reconstituted the Board without including the two non-Muslim members.



deshabhimani section

Related News

View More
0 comments
Sort by

Deshabhimani
Home