Trump Orders Cuts to US-South Korea Military Drills, Citing North Korean Ties and Seoul's Refusal to Join Iran Attack

South Korea_US military drill

South Korean protesters hold placards as they attend a rally to oppose the joint military exercise between South Korea and the US named Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS), in front of the US embassy in Seoul on August 17, 2026.

Web Desk

Published on Aug 17, 2026, 10:24 AM | 2 min read

Washington DC/Seoul: US President Donald Trump has ordered a significant reduction in joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, even as military officials warn that Pyongyang is gaining valuable combat experience from Russia’s war in Ukraine.


The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise is scheduled to begin on Monday and continue through August 27. The drills were expected to include around 18,000 South Korean troops, US forces and personnel from 11 of the 18 countries that make up the United Nations Command.


Trump said on Sunday that he was unhappy with the US participation in the exercises, arguing that they were expensive and could be viewed by North Korea as a hostile gesture. Referring to his relationship with Kim, Trump said North Korea had remained “unthreatening and respectful” during his presidency.


He said it was too late to call off this year's exercise altogether but that he had instructed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” US involvement.


Trump also accused South Korea of refusing to assist with the denuclearisation of Iran. His comments came a day after he posted an older photograph of himself with Kim on Truth Social and reiterated that the two leaders had a good relationship, fuelling speculation about a possible renewed effort to meet the North Korean leader.


Meanwhile, South Korea's Defence Ministry said the exercise would go ahead according to the previously announced schedule despite Trump's remarks and protests from a section in the public against the joint military exercise.


The upcoming drills have already drawn strong opposition from Pyongyang. North Korea recently test-fired ballistic missiles and described the US-South Korean exercise as preparation for an aggressive war, warning that it would respond by strengthening its deterrence capabilities.


The exercises have previously been reduced or suspended during Trump's diplomatic engagement with Kim. Following their 2018 summit, several major US-South Korean drills were either cancelled or scaled back before later returning in modified forms.



deshabhimani section

Related News

View More
0 comments
Sort by

Deshabhimani
Home